In traditional belief and fiction, a ghost is the soul or spirit of a deceased person or animal that can appear, in visible form or other manifestation, to the living. Descriptions of the apparition of ghosts vary widely from an invisible presence to translucent or barely visible wispy shapes, to realistic, life-like visions. The belief in manifestations of the spirits of the dead is widespread, dating back to animism or ancestor worship in pre-literate cultures. Certain religious practices—funeral rites, exorcisms, and some practices of spiritualism and ritual magic—are specifically designed to appease the spirits of the dead. Ghosts are generally described as solitary essences that haunt particular locations, objects, or people they were associated with in life, though stories of the phantom armies, ghost trains, phantom ships, and even ghost animals have also been recounted. As one of the great urban centres of the modern world, Washington DC has one of the densest concentrations of paranormal phenomena, and this spooky walking DC tour brings the sometimes terrifying otherworldliness of this great city to life, or should we say death.....m...mwa...mwah....mwahhahahahahah!
Washington DC Ghost Tour Highlights
- National Theater - Where 19th century actor John McCollough reprises his role as Hamlet to this day. . .
- Ghosts of the Presidential Pew - Keep your eyes peeled for when the bell tolls. . . ;
- Decatur House - The site of DC's most famous duel, some say it hasn't ended yet. . .!
- Hay-Adams Hotel - Marian Adams poisoned herself to death before she had a chance to stay here. The staff swears she's lurking about the hotel, making up for lost time..
- The White House! - The world's most famous residence. Past presidents may be "out of office", but they've been known to check in from time to time. . . but
- Octagon House - The most haunted house in DC, where ghosts of men, women, and children can be seen, heard, and even smelled.
- There are many more ghouls and ghost stories in store on this spine chilling DC ghost walking tour!