Ghost Tour of Melbourne
In traditional belief and fiction, a ghost is the soul or spirit of a deceased person or animal that can appear, in visible form or other manifestation, to the living. The belief in manifestations of the spirits of the dead is widespread, dating back to animism or ancestor worship in pre-literate cultures. Certain religious practices—funeral rites, exorcisms, and some practices of spiritualism and ritual magic—are specifically designed to appease the spirits of the dead. Ghosts are generally described as solitary essences that haunt particular locations, objects, or people they were associated with in life, though stories of the phantom armies, ghost trains, phantom ships, and even ghost animals have also been recounted.
Australia, as a settled country, isn’t that old. Melbourne is one the largest and oldest cities on the continent, yet we can only look back to the late 1700s for a Western history of the country. With such a short time-frame to work with, Melbourne has more than its fair share of reputedly-haunted locations. This spooky walking tour brings the sometimes terrifying otherworldliness of this great city to life, or should we say death.....m...mwa...mwah....mwahhahahahahah!
Ghost Tour of Melbourne Itinerary
- Queen Victoria Market Hear about the grisly ghost of Melbourne's founder
- Old Melbourne Jail Here haunts the ghostly apparition of Swizzy Taylor!
- Princess Theatre Learn about a horrific trap door death!
- Melbourne General Cemetery Where the dead go to rest, but some often return!
- Ned Kelly Enjoy the terrible history of Australia's Iron Outlaw
- Mark Chopper Read In his own words "Australia's most-credentialed crime novelist"