Street Art Tour of London
The origin of graffiti is unknown. It has existed for thousands of years, the earliest known cave paintings date back 40,000 years! Graffiti on Roman ruins served as early advertisements for prostitution. Still considered a punishable crime in most parts of the world, graffiti today serves to express underlying social and political messages, especially dissent and rebellion against the status quo. A whole genre of artistic expression has blossomed on walls in cities all over the world, and graffiti is now a widely acknowledged art form, with the works of its famous artists, such as Banksy and Mr Brainwash, fetching pretty ridiculous prices at auction!
The hipsters' haven of Shoreditch is where we'll find some of the most notable works of graffiti in London, so join us on the Graffiti Tour of London for a deep dive into the graffiti art world and some truly stunning works of art from artists like:
- Banksy Pioneering England-based graffiti artist, political activist, film director, and painter. His satirical street art and subversive epigrams combine dark humour with graffiti done in a distinctive stencilling technique
- Shepard Fairey From humble beginnings as a defiant, skateboard-obsessed art student pasting homemade stickers, Shepard Fairey has developed into one of the most influential street artists of our time
- Space Invader Invader is a French urban artist who pastes up characters from and inspired by the 1978 arcade game
- Christian Guémy aka C215 A French street artist hailing from Paris who has been described as "France's answer to Banksy"
- Ben Eine Flynn aka Eine The street artist who made it to the white house
- Stik Stik paints stick figure-like people as street art
- ROA Belgian street artist has created works on the streets of cities all over the world
- Os Gêmeos (Portuguese for The Twins) These identical twin brothers hail from São Paulo, Brazil
- Conor Harrington The Irishman's work is an incredibly successful collusion between fine art and street techniques.
- There is plenty more artistic inspiration and wonder to be experienced on this cool ass tour